Thursday, June 9, 2011

26 Weeks

I’ve been slacking big time on the weekly updates, but I had to jump in and say a few words about the last week of the second trimester.  I’ll let Alphamom say a few words for me first:

Your Baby:

  • Is almost two pounds. Celebrate this milestone with a two-pound box of chocolates. You know, in order to really get a good VISUAL.
  • Remember those early bubbly butterfly kicks? Yeah. Those have been replaced by something akin to a rabid mongoose flippin’ out inside a burlap sack.
  • If you DO occasionally feel smaller, rhythmic movements in your belly, it’s probably your baby hiccupping. Babies actually get hiccups from late in the first trimester on, but most women don’t pick on them the second trimester or later.
  • All five senses are fully developed. Whoa.

You:

  • Are in the last and final week of the second trimester! (At least according to the books I’ve chosen to listen to — some mark the beginning of the third trimester as week 27, while some make you wait until week 28. Look, we’re all big and lumpy and ridiculously cranky, let’s get this final trimester STARTED.)
  • Of course, the end of the second trimester also marks the end of the so-called “honeymoon” phase of pregnancy, as the final three months can get awfully uncomfortable. Back and joint pain, swollen ankles, restless nights and Braxton-Hicks contractions, ahoy!
  • You’ll gain about 1/2 inch in belly/fundal size EVERY WEEK from this point on, oh mah gah. I guess I should stop being so smug about those pre-pregnancy lowrise jeans I’ve been wearing (with just a little help from my trusty rubber band).
  • The books say we’ve gained about 16-22 pounds, so long as we’ve been following a “nutritious and sensible diet plan.” Bite me, books.

 

We had an ultrasound last night and the tech says Dylan is measuring at 1 lb, 11 oz, so he’s on track with the almost two pounds estimate.  I found out today from my doctor’s office that I passed my glucose test last week.  I was soooo happy because even though you’re not required to fast, I had decided I would try not to eat anything after breakfast to ensure a pass, and at 1:00 decided I couldn’t wait anymore and ate a chicken sandwich from Wendy’s along with half of my fries and half a root beer.  What was I thinking?  My test was at 2!  She said my numbers were on the high side, but still in normal range.  I said “like chicken sandwich, fries, and soda high?”  She said “yes, that sounds about right.” 

My sister got to feel Dylan kick for the first time yesterday which was exciting.  I love when other people get to feel what’s going on in there.  I’m carrying way differently this time than I did last.  By this time with Luke I had a nice round basketball belly and there was no mistaking that I was pregnant.  This time I feel like I’m just more round all the way through, so I don’t look definitely pregnant, but I’m still waddling, huffing and puffing my way through everywhere I go.  I’m sleeping much better the past couple of weeks than I was, which I’m so thankful for.  Heartburn is a daily occurrence, multiple times per day.  Tums takes care of it right away usually.  I’ve gained 3-4 only thank goodness.  I know I’ll be packing on those lbs in the 3rd trimester, so I’m glad the weight gain stayed under control for the first two. 

I guess that’s about it for now, I have both of the boys’ new bedding and some Etsy letter blocks that I had to have after seeing Maisy’s adorable blocks, and Dylan’s probable home from the hospital outfit, so I’ll share all of that soon when every single room in my house isn’t a total disaster.   

1 comment:

  1. My house is a mess too, its so hard to bend down to pick things up these days that I just can't stay on top of it. So exciting that you're almost in the last trimester!!! Not long to go :)

    Oh and can't wait to see what you got for Dylan so far!!

    ReplyDelete